Re: Information Schema and constraint names not unique - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Information Schema and constraint names not unique
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> regression=# create table foo (f1 int check (f1 > 0) check (f1 < 10));
>> ERROR:  check constraint "foo_f1" already exists

> Is this a TODO to fix?

Probably should be.  I'd be inclined to try to fix it by generating
"foo_f1_1", "foo_f1_2", etc until a non-conflicting name is found.

(Note: the reason it's okay to search for a non-conflicting name in this
context is we only need a lock on the single table in question.  It's
no problem anyway in CREATE TABLE, but can still work in ALTER TABLE.)