Re: initdb failure - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Pankaj Mandal (pmandal)
Subject Re: initdb failure
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hi Kevin,

I have checked this several times. The installer is executed by user
Administrator (which apparently has all Administrator privileges)
The user postgres is also being created and the data directory is owned
by this user, which does have read, write, execute, modify, list folder
contents and they are all inheritable. Here I am copying few more lines
from the logs, upto when initdb failed.

"
    Ensuring we can write to the data directory (using cacls):
    processed dir:
C:\PROGRA~1\CISCOS~1\CSCONccm\objects\PostgreSQL\8.4\data

    The files belonging to this database system will be owned by
user "Administrator".

    The database cluster will be initialized with locale
English_United States.1252.
    The default text search configuration will be set to "english".

    fixing permissions on existing directory
C:/PROGRA~1/CISCOS~1/CSCONccm/objects/PostgreSQL/8.4/data ... ok
    creating subdirectories ... ok
    selecting default max_connections ... 10
    selecting default shared_buffers ... 400kB
    creating configuration files ... ok
    creating template1 database in
C:/PROGRA~1/CISCOS~1/CSCONccm/objects/PostgreSQL/8.4/data/base/1 ...
initdb: could not execute command
""C:/PROGRA~1/CISCOS~1/CSCONccm/objects/PostgreSQL/8.4/bin/postgres.exe"
--boot -x1 -F ": No error
    initdb: removing contents of data directory
"C:/PROGRA~1/CISCOS~1/CSCONccm/objects/PostgreSQL/8.4/data"

"

Thank you
Pankaj

> ""C:/PROGRA~1/CISCOS~1/CSCONccm/objects/PostgreSQL/8.4/bin/
> postgres.exe" --boot -x1 -F ": No error

I would check permissions related to the user and that postgres.exe
file.

-Kevin