Re: Win32 Event log - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Win32 Event log
Date
List pgsql-patches
"Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
> The attached patch directs FATAL and PANIC elog's to the event log as
> well as their normal destination.

I don't think this is a good idea.  In the first place, FATAL errors are
not necessarily serious or out-of-the-ordinary --- an example is that
all authorization errors are FATAL.  In the second place, the proposed
patch deliberately subverts what the DBA has set as the logging output
parameters.  I dislike software that knows better than I do what I want
and is willing to ignore what I told it to do on those grounds.  In the
third place, no one is going to have any difficulty picking out PANICs
from "other events" ;-)

A patch that would be more in the spirit of Postgres is to allow different
min_log_level values for the different possible log destinations
(stderr, syslog, eventlog).  However that looks a lot like a new feature
to me, so maybe it will have to wait for 8.1.

            regards, tom lane