Re: Paging through table one row at a ttime - Mailing list pgsql-general

From H
Subject Re: Paging through table one row at a ttime
Date
List pgsql-general
On 07/22/2022 03:14 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 07:05:31AM -0600, Rob Sargent wrote:

possiblyusing pspg (or other tool) allowing me to move in either direction in the table one single row at a time.
Ideallyonly the columns in the selected row should be visible, even better if there would be one column of that row per
rowin the terminal window but that would probably be wishing for too much.

>>> I have not seen any replies to my question above - is this perhaps not possible to do?
>>>

>> I didn’t follow the “even better”. Aside from that most of us are simple sql users and data managers - we don’t go
backand forth row by row all that often. Have you found the LIMIT and OFFSET features of SELECT statement?  After that
yourin application space and not this forum perhaps

> Yeah, I was confused by the question.  I originally thought you were
> asking about pagination, and I have several blog entries about that:
>
>     https://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2020.html#August_17_2020
>
> but it then sounded like you were looking for a terminal-level API,
> which kind of sounded like pspg, which you are using, but something much
> more sophisticated.

Let me flesh out my need a little bit more. I have a need for a quick-and-dirty solution to paging through a postgresql
table.pspg almost fits that need but could be even better. Using pspg I can either: (1) view one table row in each pspg
terminalwindow row using the pspg flag to shorten columns, or (2) list as much of the table row in the pspg terminal
windowas fits. Depending on the size of the row, this could mean less than one table row or more than one table row.

To make it easier to view individual table rows in eg. pspg I would like to view exactly one table row, not more, and
ideallyeach column of that table row would use individual pspg terminal rows.

I hope that makes it clearer. Hoping this might be possible, either using pspg or other similar software. I am not
writingany application code.