Re: logging problem ... ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: logging problem ... ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> cat ~pgsql/pgstart ... postmaster's own debug output?  ya know, for some
> stupid reason, the only thing i'm capturing is postgres's output :(  I
> just modified the pgstart script and restarted the server, so postmaster's
> output is to logs/postmaster.5432 ...

Oh, I see the problem!  It's the -S in the postmaster switches:

${POSTMASTER} -d 1 -B 4096 -N 128 -S \                                 ^^

That redirects postmaster's stdout/stderr to /dev/null, so you never
see anything in its log except for a message or two that comes out
before -S is processed.  Instead of -S you should be using

nohup ${POSTMASTER} same-switches-except-S \</dev/null  >& logs/postmaster.${PORT}  &

(I'm not sure if redirecting stdin to /dev/null is really necessary on
your OS, but it is on mine.)