Re: PostgreSQL does CAST implicitely between int and a domain derived from int

From: Tom Lane
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL does CAST implicitely between int and a domain derived from int
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Re: PostgreSQL does CAST implicitely between int and a domain derived from int  ("Kevin Grittner", )
 Re: PostgreSQL does CAST implicitely between int and a domain derived from int  ("Kevin Grittner", )
  Re: PostgreSQL does CAST implicitely between int and a domain derived from int  (Jean-Michel Pouré, )
   Re: PostgreSQL does CAST implicitely between int and adomain derived from int  ("Kevin Grittner", )
    Re: PostgreSQL does CAST implicitely between int and adomain derived from int  (Jean-Michel Pouré, )
     Re: PostgreSQL does CAST implicitely between int andadomain derived from int  ("Kevin Grittner", )
      Re: PostgreSQL does CAST implicitely between int andadomain derived from int  (Jean-Michel Pouré, )
       Re: PostgreSQL does CAST implicitely between int and a domain derived from int  ("Kevin Grittner", )
        Re: PostgreSQL  (Jean-Michel Pouré, )
        Re: PostgreSQL does CAST implicitely between int and a domain derived from int  (Robert Haas, )
         Re: PostgreSQL does CAST implicitely between int and a domain derived from int  (Tom Lane, )
          Re: PostgreSQL does CAST implicitely between int and a domain derived from int  (Jean-Michel Pouré, )
           Re: PostgreSQL does CAST implicitely between int and a domain derived from int  (Bruce Momjian, )
            Re: PostgreSQL does CAST implicitely between int and a domain derived from int  (Jean-Michel Pouré, )
             Re: PostgreSQL does CAST implicitely between int and a domain derived from int  (Tom Lane, )
              Re: PostgreSQL does CAST implicitely between int and a domain derived from int  (Jean-Michel Pouré, )
               Re: PostgreSQL does CAST implicitely between int and a domain derived from int  (Tom Lane, )
                Re: PostgreSQL does CAST implicitely between int and a domain derived from int  (Greg Stark, )

Jean-Michel =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Pour=E9?= <> writes:
> In Drupal database, we have two types:
> CREATE DOMAIN int_unsigned
>   AS integer
> CONSTRAINT int_unsigned_check CHECK ((VALUE >= 0));

> Why do queries cast between integer and int_unsigned?

That domain doesn't have any operators of its own.  To compare to
another value, or use an index, you have to cast it to integer which
does have operators.  It's a no-op cast, but logically necessary.

            regards, tom lane