Re: select lower('ÆØÅ ABC'); does not work as expected - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: select lower('ÆØÅ ABC'); does not work as expected
Date
List pgsql-sql
willy malth <donotemailme@nosuchdomain.xx> writes:
> I'm useing postgresql 7.3.2, and having trouble with the lower(string)
> function and the Danish special chars:
> The Danish chars does not convert to lower chars.

You need to run initdb in the correct locale.  LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE
are both locked down at initdb time, and the latter determines the
behavior of lower().  You could use pg_controldata to check the
database's LC_CTYPE, but I'll bet that it's not a Danish locale.

            regards, tom lane