Re: regproc's lack of certainty is dangerous - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: regproc's lack of certainty is dangerous
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
>> I think that we can actually get away (from an implementation point of
>> view) with a column containing arrays of different base types; array_out
>> will still work AFAIR.  It's an interesting question though how such a
>> column could reasonably be declared.  This ties into your recent
>> investigations into polymorphic array functions, perhaps.
>>
>> Maybe "anyarray" shouldn't be quite so pseudo a pseudotype?

I have committed a fix for these problems that makes pg_statistic's
columns into "anyarray" columns.  It turns out that my original concerns
about datatypes without associated array types don't matter --- we can
physically build such an array, regardless of whether we can point to a
pg_type entry that describes it.

This is certainly something of a kluge at the moment, because
pg_statistic is making use of facilities that don't exist at the SQL
level.  It gets the job done, but I'd like to see some fuller support
for "anyarray" in future.