Re: Help understanding VACUUM info on 7.4.5 - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Help understanding VACUUM info on 7.4.5
Date
List pgsql-admin
"Chris White (cjwhite)" <cjwhite@cisco.com> writes:
> Below I have info which shows a DB which has had all objects deleted and
> then vacuumed. As can been seen it say it has "9014 dead rows that can't
> been removed". What does that mean?

That means there's an open transaction that is old enough to be able to
see those rows under MVCC rules, so VACUUM dare not remove them.

Check for clients that are issuing a BEGIN and then sitting with the
transaction open.  Older versions of JDBC did that behind your back,
IIRC.

            regards, tom lane