Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Gustafsson
Subject Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 13 Jun 2024, at 00:34, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman@gmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW, I felt a lot of pain trying to write recovery TAP tests with
> IPC::Run's pumping functionality. It was especially painful (as
> someone who knows even less Perl than the "street fighting Perl"
> Thomas Munro has described having) before the additional test
> infrastructure was added in BackgroudPsql.pm last year.

A key aspect of this, which isn't specific to Perl or our use of it, is that
this was done in backbranches which doesn't have the (recently) much improved
BackgroundPsql.pm.  The quality of our tools and the ease of use they provide
is directly related to the investment we make into continuously improving our
testharness.  Regardless of which toolset we adopt, if we don't make this
investment (taking learnings from the past years and toolsets into account)
we're bound to repeat this thread in a few years advocating for toolset X+1.

--
Daniel Gustafsson