Re: BUG #4958: Stats collector hung on WaitForMultipleObjectsEx while attempting to recv a datagram - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #4958: Stats collector hung on WaitForMultipleObjectsEx while attempting to recv a datagram
Date
Re: BUG #4958: Stats collector hung on WaitForMultipleObjectsEx while attempting to recv a datagram  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Meanwhile, back at the ranch: I'm fine with applying that patch now that
>> it's had some field testing.

> Attached is a version that applies OK to 9.1, after resolving some
> conflicts.  Review appreciated.  It wasn't exactly clear to me how to
> handle the ereport/elog calls.

It looks sane to me in a quick once-over (bearing in mind I can't test
it).  What's bothering you about the ereport calls?

> What to do pre-9.1 is a bit less clear to me, as the latch machinery
> doesn't exist at all in those versions.  Some of the fixes can
> probably still be pulled out and applied, though.

Presumably the changes in win32/socket.c could still be applied; but
on the other hand it's not clear there's so much need for them pre-9.1.
IIRC most of the point of this patch was to eliminate the tug-of-war
over the socket's event attachment between socket.c and win32_latch.c,
so maybe there's not a bug pre-9.1.

            regards, tom lane