Re: Timezone issue - Is it me or is this a massive bug? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Timezone issue - Is it me or is this a massive bug?
Date
List pgsql-general
"Collin Peters" <cadiolis@gmail.com> writes:
> I have read the post and understand the issue.  I am wondering why
> this is not mentioned in the documentation.

It is.  Per
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/datatype-datetime.html#DATATYPE-TIMEZONES

"One should be wary that the POSIX-style time zone feature can lead to
silently accepting bogus input, since there is no check on the
reasonableness of the zone abbreviations. For example, SET TIMEZONE TO
FOOBAR0 will work, leaving the system effectively using a rather
peculiar abbreviation for UTC. Another issue to keep in mind is that in
POSIX time zone names, positive offsets are used for locations west of
Greenwich. Everywhere else, PostgreSQL follows the ISO-8601 convention
that positive timezone offsets are east of Greenwich."

            regards, tom lane