Re: [HACKERS] Letting the client choose the protocol to use during aSASL exchange - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Álvaro Hernández Tortosa
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Letting the client choose the protocol to use during aSASL exchange
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 10/04/17 21:41, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 04/10/2017 09:33 PM, Álvaro Hernández Tortosa wrote:
>>      Thanks for posting the patched HTML. In my opinion, all looks good
>> except that:
>>
>> - I will add an extra String (a CSV) to AuthenticationSASL message for
>> channel binding names, so that message format can remain without changes
>> when channel binding is implemented. It can be empty.
>
> Note that SCRAM-SHA-256 with channel binding has a different SASL
> mechanism name, SRAM-SHA-256-PLUS. No need for a separate flag or
> string for channel binding. When support for channel binding is added
> to the server, it will advertise two SASL mechanisms in the
> AuthenticationSASL message, SCRAM-SHA-256 and SCRAM-SHA-256-PLUS. (Or
> just SCRAM-SHA-256-PLUS, if channel-binding is required).
    Channel binding needs to specify actually three things:
- The mechanism, which is indeed suffixed "-PLUS".
- The channel binding name, which is described here:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5056. Types are also IANA-registered (see
https://www.iana.org/assignments/channel-binding-types/channel-binding-types.xhtml).
SCRAM mandates to implement 'tls-unique', but other channel binding
types could be supported (like 'tls-server-end-point' for example).
- The channel binding data, which is channel binding mechanism
dependent, and is sent as part of the client last message.
    What I'm talking about here is the second one, the channel binding
type (name).

>> - If the username used is the one sent in the startup message, rather
>> than leaving it empty in the client-first-message, I would force it to
>> be the same as the used in the startuo message.
>
> The problem with that is that the SCRAM spec dictates that the
> username must be encoded in UTF-8, but PostgreSQL supports non-UTF-8
> usernames.
>
> Or did you mean that, if the username is sent, it must match the one
> in the startup packet, but an empty string would always be allowed?
> That would be reasonable.
>
>> Otherwise we may confuse
>> some client implementations which would probably consider that as an
>> error; for one, my implementation would currently throw an error if
>> username is empty, and I think that's correct.
>
> I'm not sure I follow. The username is sent from client to server, and
> currently, the server will ignore it. If you're writing a client
> library, it can send whatever it wants. (Although again I would
> recommend an empty string, to avoid confusion. Sending the same
> username as in the startup packet, as long as it's in UTF-8, seems
> reasonable too.)
    OK, understood. I will not let then the SCRAM implementation I'm
writing to allow for empty string as the user name, but in the pgjdbc
glue code send "ignore" as the user name or something like that ;P

> Thanks for reviewing this! I'll start hacking on code changes to go
> with these docs.
    Thanks for writing the code :)

    Álvaro

--