Re: Convert string to UNICODE & migration FROM 7.4 to 9.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Convert string to UNICODE & migration FROM 7.4 to 9.1
Date
List pgsql-general
Philippe Lang <philippe.lang@attiksystem.ch> writes:
> I have a function under PG 7.4 that returns an xml structure, with the content encoded in UNICODE.

Basically, the only reason you got away with that in 7.4 is that 7.4 is
so lax about encodings.  In general, in modern releases, all text
strings inside the backend are in the database's specified encoding.
Full stop, no exceptions.  If you think you need something different,
you need to rethink your assumptions.

I'd try just dropping the convert() step and see what happens.

            regards, tom lane