Re: Another swing at JSON - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Another swing at JSON
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr> writes:
> This and removing module_pathname in the control files to just use
> $libdir/contrib in the .sql files.  That would set a better example to
> people who want to make their own extensions, as the general case is
> that those will not get into contrib.

I'm not sure it's a better example.  We considered doing that before,
and decided not to on the grounds that using MODULE_PATHNAME avoids
hard-wiring the name of the shared library into the SQL scripts.  Also,
IIRC, there are a couple of contrib modules where there's an actual
problem in doing it like that; though I'm unable to recall details as
I'm fighting a head cold at the moment.

My original intention when I started working with the extensions patch
had in fact been to do what you suggest above, but I was convinced not
to.  I don't think we should reverse that decision at the last minute.