Re: feature idea - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: feature idea
Date
List pgsql-general
hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz@depesz.com> writes:
> On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 11:45:44AM -0700, Steve Crawford wrote:
>> What's wrong with:
>> \o '| gzip -c - > foo.gz'
>> \d
>> \o

> it's too long. and it requires disabling. i'd like something that would
> work exactly like unix pipe - send input of one command to another.

The fact that it's possible now means that the case for adding syntax
for it is extremely weak.  You'd need to convince people that this is so
useful that we should go to the trouble of figuring out how to shoehorn
it into the syntax of every backslash command (and in at least some
cases that'd be pretty tricky).  Given that it never got requested
before, I think it'll be hard to show that.

            regards, tom lane