Re: pgsql: Clean up role created in new subscription test. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Clean up role created in new subscription test.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
>> On 30 Mar 2023, at 20:44, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Maybe it'd be close enough to expect there to be no roles named
>> "regress_xxx".  In combination with
>> -DENFORCE_REGRESSION_TEST_NAME_RESTRICTIONS, that would prevent us
>> from accidentally leaving stuff behind, and we could hope that it doesn't
>> cause false failures in real installations.

> Would that check be always on or only when pg_regress is compiled with
> -DENFORCE_REGRESSION_TEST_NAME_RESTRICTIONS?

I envisioned it as being on all the time.

>> Another idea could be for pg_regress to enforce that "select count(*)
>> from pg_roles" gives the same answer before and after the test run.

> That wouldn't prevent the contents of pg_roles to have changed though, so there
> is a (slim) false positive risk with that no?

Well, we could do "select rolname from pg_roles order by 1" and
actually compare the results of the two selects.  That might be
advisable anyway, in order to produce a complaint with useful
detail when there is something wrong.