Re: Should we make Bitmapsets a kind of Node? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Should we make Bitmapsets a kind of Node?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> writes:
> Broad trends have made it easier to write portable C code, but that
> doesn't apply to 32-bit machines, I imagine. Including even the
> extremely low power 32-bit chips that are not yet fully obsolete, like
> the Raspberry Pi Zero's chip.

Meh.  To my mind, the most interesting aspects of different hardware
platforms for our purposes are

* alignment sensitivity (particularly, is unaligned access expensive);
* spinlock support, and after that various other atomic instructions;
* endianness

Pointer width is interesting, but really it's a solved problem
compared to these.