Re: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem
Date
Re: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Hey, I have an idea.  Can we do subtransactions as separate transactions
> (as Tom mentioned), and put the subtransaction id's in the WAL, so they
> an be safely committed/rolledback as a group?

It's not quite that easy: all the subtransactions have to commit at
*the same time* from the point of view of other xacts, or you have
consistency problems.  So there'd need to be more xact-commit mechanism
than there is now.  Snapshots are also interesting; we couldn't use a
single xact ID per backend to show the open-transaction state.

WAL doesn't really enter into it AFAICS...