Re: Re: New Linux xfs/reiser file systems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: New Linux xfs/reiser file systems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> Even the IMHO hardest to solve problem
> - RENAME - can
> probably be done in a transaction-safe manner by doing a
> link(oid.<newname>) in the
> beginning and selective unlink(oid.<newname/oldname>) at commit time.

Nope.  Consider
begin;rename a to b;rename b to a;end;

And don't tell me you'll solve this by ignoring failures from link().
That's a recipe for losing your data...

I would ask people who think they have a solution to please go back and
reread the very long discussions we have had on this point in the past.
Nobody particularly likes numeric filenames, but there really isn't any
other workable answer.