Re: [HACKERS] Backend crashes (6.5.2 linux) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Backend crashes (6.5.2 linux)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Michael Simms <grim@argh.demon.co.uk> writes:
> The postmaster stderr says:
> FATAL 1:  my bits moved right off the end of the world!

Hmm.  That error is coming out of the btree index code.  Vadim knows
that code better than anyone else, so he might have something to say
here, but my past-midnight recollection is that we've seen that error
being triggered when there are oversize entries in the index (where
"oversize" = "more than half a disk page").  It's a bug, for sure,
but what you probably want right now is a workaround.  Do you have any
entries in indexed columns that are over 4K, and can you get rid of them?

> My biggest problem is that I am using the C libraries, and PQexec()
> does not return, gdb shows it is sitting in a select() inside
> #0  0xc91954e in __select ()
> #1  0xc851428 in pgresStatus ()
> #2  0xc84a9ea in PQgetResult ()
> #3  0xc84ab77 in PQexec ()

Huh?  PQgetResult does not call pgresStatus ... not least because the
latter is an array, not a function.  Your gdb is lying to you.  Maybe
you have a problem with gdb looking at a different version of the
library than what's actually executing?