Re: 7.2.3 -> 7.3.2: timeofday(), server crashed - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 7.2.3 -> 7.3.2: timeofday(), server crashed
Date
List pgsql-admin
"A.Bhuvaneswaran" <bhuvansql@myrealbox.com> writes:
> Since in 7.3.2 the default timestamp is without timezone, the below
> command fails:

> # CREATE TABLE history_log (history_id text, ctime timestamp default
> timeofday());
> ERROR:  Column "ctime" is of type timestamp without time zone but default
> expression is of type text
>         You will need to rewrite or cast the expression

This is unrelated to the change in the with/without time zone default;
it happens because we have tightened up the rules for implicit casting.

> Further, due to the above reason, while restoring, the server is crashed.

> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "602869" at character 1
> LOG:  server process (pid 31373) was terminated by signal 9

This is also unrelated.  There is no scenario in which a parse error
will lead to signal 9.  I would guess that you have one of the versions
of Linux in which the kernel will issue kill -9's against
randomly-selected user processes anytime it starts feeling low on
memory.  Buying more RAM or increasing swap space is the best answer
AFAIK.

            regards, tom lane