Re: The postgres server don't work - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: The postgres server don't work
Date
List pgsql-general
On 1/7/22 10:05, Mohammed falih wrote:
> Hello Mr/Mrs
> I hope you are fine and doing well
> I have a problem with the postgres server
> first my operating system is windows 10 pro
> and my postgres version is 13
> this problem i have tried to solve it for more than two weeks and
> nothing changed
> lastly I have formatted the laptop and downloaded only PostgreSQL
> program and it worked well for less than a hour then its server broken

Questions and comments inline below.

Define broken?

In other words what does the Postgres log show in the period from when
it ran to when it did not?

> the error says in sql shell " could not connect to server: Connection
> refused (0x0000274D/10061)
>          Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and accepting
>          TCP/IP connections on port 5432?"
> I changed the port and nothing different
> yes this problem is happening regularly but with me nothing solved it

The issue is the below where it could not find the executable. Are you
starting the service as an administrator?

> I tried to go to configuration files (the pg_hba.conf ( I added a line
> in the last
> host all all 0.0.0.0/0 <http://0.0.0.0/0> md5)
> and in postgresql.conf file (the listening addresses was already to :"*")
>
> also I when I try to start the server from service tab says
> the postgres service cannot restart
> it says that "some services stop automatically if they are not in use by
> other services or programs
> and when I check it in the event viewer there is an error says
>   "FATAL: XX000: C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\13\bin\postgres.exe: could
> not locate matching postgres executable LOCATION: getInstallationPaths,
> d:\pginstaller_13.auto\postgres.windows-x64\src\backend\postmaster\postmaster.c:1489"

Does this path C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\13\bin\postgres.exe actually
exist?

> and maybe you need to know that after I finish installing the postgre
> program I haven't installed the stack builder and when I run the sql
> shell for first time there were a problem says "Console code page (437)
> differs from Windows code page (1252)
>           8-bit characters might not work correctly. See psql reference
>           page "Notes for Windows users"

This has to do with the psql client not the server.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com