Re: --enable-thread-safety? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: --enable-thread-safety?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Palle Girgensohn wrote:
>> Need a piece of advice here. I'm wrapping up the ports for FreeBSD, and jus
>> wonder if it is perhaps clever to always add --enable-thread-safety to the
>> configure args. Is there a big enough penalty for having it off by default,
>> or can I just have it on always?

> I don't think there is any real penalty in PostgreSQL for having it on.
> I don't know what the operating system overhead is on FreeBSD.

More to the point: the overhead if any is all at the libc level.
If your libc is such that there isn't any penalty for thread support
(perhaps better stated "you pay the overhead whether you want it or
not") then go for it.  I believe this is the case in recent Linuxen,
but I don't know the state of play in BSDen.