Re: Strange behavior with leap dates and centuries BC - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Strange behavior with leap dates and centuries BC
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bernd Helmle <mailings@oopsware.de> writes:
> CREATE TABLE foo(datum date);
> INSERT INTO foo VALUES('0000-02-29');

Since there is no year zero according to Gregorian reckoning, this
should have been rejected to start with.

> INSERT INTO foo VALUES('0001-02-29 BC');
> ERROR:  date/time field value out of range: "0001-02-29 BC"

Yeah, something broken there too.  It does know (correctly) that 1BC
is a leap year:

regression=# select '0001-02-28 BC'::date + 1;  ?column?
---------------0001-02-29 BC
(1 row)

regression=# select '0002-02-28 BC'::date + 1;  ?column?
---------------0002-03-01 BC
(1 row)

So I'd say there are two separate bugs in datetime input processing
exposed here.

> Huh? It seems the calculation for leap dates with negative year values is
> broken. This example was taken from a current HEAD checkout today, the
> original version i've seen this behavior first was 8.2.4.

I see the same behaviors in 7.4.x, so it's a longstanding problem...