Re: Getting available options - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Getting available options
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 14:22 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> I'd like to add a way for a client (in this case, typicallyi pgadmin,
>> phppgadmin or similar) to get the available options on the server for the
>> GUC settings we have that take fixed options. This is to make it possible
>> to generate pretty dropdown lists of the options.

> How will this work with custom variable classes?

Anything like this will involve an API change in the guc stuff, so
that doesn't seem insurmountable.

I like the idea that was mentioned upthread of creating a new "enum"
category for GUC variables, instead of continuing to abuse the rather
inefficient "string" category for the purpose.  One reason is that
we then would not be faced with making an incompatible change in
the arguments of DefineCustomStringVariable.