Re: pgsql: Consistently test for in-use shared memory. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Consistently test for in-use shared memory.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 08:08:48PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I interpret this as "the single-user backend exited before we could stuff
>> 'SELECT 1 + 1' down the pipe to it, and the Perl script is not expecting
>> to get a write failure there".

> Perhaps I should write the 'SELECT 1 + 1' to a regular file and redirect input
> from that file.

Yeah, that was the first idea that occurred to me as well.
Kinda grotty, but ...

Another idea is to shove the problem off on a sub-shell, that is run

    echo SELECT 1 + 1 | postgres --single ...

            regards, tom lane