Re: When to use PARTITION BY HASH? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From MichaelDBA
Subject Re: When to use PARTITION BY HASH?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I use it quite often, since I'm dealing with partitioning keys that have
high cardinality, ie, high number of different values.  If your
cardinality is very high, but your spacing between values is not
uniform, HASH will balance your partitioned tables naturally.  If your
spacing between values is consistent, perhaps RANGE partitioning would
be better.

Regards,
Michael Vitale