Re: Queries using rules show no rows modified? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Queries using rules show no rows modified?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> The problem seems to be that recent changes broke updatable views for a
> few users. So have these basic options:

> 1. revert the changes until we have a consensus on doing the right thing
>    (seems best to me)

Reverting is not an option, unless you want to also revert 7.2's change
of execution order of ON INSERT rules; which I would resist as the new
behavior is clearly better.  But given that, both 7.2 and 7.2.1 have
command-tag behavior that is making users unhappy ... in different ways.

I think we should first concentrate on defining what we think the right
behavior should be in the long term.  Only after we know that can we
devise a plan for getting there.  I believe all the concrete suggestions
that have been made so far could be implemented straight away in 7.2.2
(if there is a 7.2.2) ... but we might settle on something that
represents a bigger change with more backwards-compatibility problems.