Re: pgsql: Widen query numbers-of-tuples-processed counters to uint64. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Widen query numbers-of-tuples-processed counters to uint64.
Date
List pgsql-committers
> On March 12, 2016 1:05:46 PM PST, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Most values associated with FETCH/MOVE distances, such as PortalRun's
>> count argument and the count argument of most SPI functions that have
>> one, remain declared as "long".  It's not clear whether it would be
>> worth promoting those to int64; but it would definitely be a large
>> dollop of additional API churn on top of this, and it would only help
>> 32-bit platforms which seem relatively less likely to see any benefit.

> There's also windows, where long is 32 bit, even on 64bit platforms...

I'm not personally excited about doing a lot of work, and possibly
breaking a lot (more) extensions, to provide a mostly-academic benefit
to Windows64 and little else.  But, if someone else wants to tackle it
I won't stand in the way.

            regards, tom lane