Re: Trigger behaviour not as stated - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Trigger behaviour not as stated
Date
List pgsql-docs
Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 11:07 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> ... The attached patch updates the docs to say
>> statement-level triggers fire on the "referenced" table, while row-level
>> triggers fire only on the "affected" table, (vs. all affected tables)
>> even if they are not referenced in the query.  I would backpatch this to
>> PG 10.

> I was trying to convey that, but it does seem a little terse and
> cryptic.  Your addition of "referenced" and "only" make it clearer.

Hm, the first part of Bruce's change seems fine, but I think this wording:

     ...  In contrast,
!    row-level triggers are fired only on affected partitions or child tables,
!    even if they are not referenced in the query.

is still confusing.  How about something like

     In contrast, row-level triggers are fired for each actual row change,
     including changes in partitions or child tables that are not directly
     named in the query.

Possibly "row operation" would be better than "row change".

            regards, tom lane