Re: Doing authentication in backend - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Doing authentication in backend
Date
List pgsql-hackers
ncm@zembu.com (Nathan Myers) writes:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 01:42:26PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Also note that we could easily fix things so that the max-number-of-
>> backends limit is not checked until we have passed the authentication
>> procedure.  A PM child that's still busy authenticating doesn't have
>> to count.

> And impose a very short timeout on authentication.

Yes.  There's no time limit at present, but it will be easy to add one
after we change to fork-before-authenticate (since each PM child can
have its own itimer).

> This last could also be addressed (along with Solaris's Unix Sockets
> problem!) by changing the second argument to listen(2) from the current
> SOMAXCONN -- which is 5 in Solaris 2.7 -- to 127.  See the six-page
> discussion in Stevens UNPv1 beginning at page 93.

Unfortunately I only have Stevens' first edition, and it doesn't seem
to have any such advice in it.  Why is it a good idea to ignore the
platform's specification of SOMAXCONN?  Seems like on non-broken
platforms, that would do more harm than good.