Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Revert "Add libpq function PQhostaddr()." - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Revert "Add libpq function PQhostaddr()."
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:
> Revert "Add libpq function PQhostaddr()."
> This reverts commit 9f80f4835a55a1cbffcda5d23a617917f3286c14.  The
> function returned the raw value of a connection parameter, a task served
> by PQconninfo().  The next commit will reimplement the psql \conninfo
> change that way.  Back-patch to 9.4, where that commit first appeared.

I confess to not having been paying too much attention to your discussion
with Fujii over the holiday, but isn't it a bit too late to be making
client-API-breaking changes in 9.4?  I would have been fine with this
before RC1 went out, but once we do that, the branch should be treated
as released.  And we would never consider removing a library API symbol
in a released branch.

I concur that PQhostaddr wasn't correctly documented, but maybe the
answer to that is to fix the documentation.