Re: COPY does not work with regproc and aclitem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: COPY does not work with regproc and aclitem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM> writes:
> I'm playing with catalog upgrade. The very basic idea of my experiment
> is export data from catalog and import it back to the new
> initialized/fresh catalog.

That is never going to work, at least not for any interesting catalogs.
A system with a "fresh" (I assume you mean empty) pg_proc, for instance,
is non functional.

A much bigger problem, if you're thinking of this as a component step
of pg_upgrade, is that you can't use anything at the COPY level of
detail because it will fail if the new version wants a different catalog
layout --- for instance, if someone's added a column to the catalog.
The right way to implement pg_upgrade is to transfer the catalog data
at the SQL-command level of abstraction, ie, "pg_dump -s" and reload.