Re: contrib and licensing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: contrib and licensing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
>>> And its stubs are in the backend, of all places.

>> Really?  I must have missed that.

> On Linux as compiled in Red Hat 9, at least:
> [lowen@localhost lowen]$ ldd /usr/bin/postgres
>         libreadline.so.4 => /usr/lib/libreadline.so.4 (0x401c6000)

That's because our build mechanism links *all* needed libraries in *all*
executables, rather than trying to distinguish which ones are actually
used by each executable.  The ldd indication is the only connection to
libreadline --- if it had been a statically-linked situation, you'd find
no trace of readline (nor several other of these libraries, I suspect)
in the backend executable.