Re: [HACKERS] Partial fix for INSERT...SELECT problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Partial fix for INSERT...SELECT problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck) writes:
>> Fixing this appears to require a substantial rearrangement of code
>> inside the parser, which I'm real hesitant to do with only a week to go
>> till 6.5 release.  I propose leaving this issue on the "to fix" list for
>> 6.6.  Comments?

>     Does  it really require that substantial rearrangement? Looks
>     to me that the renaming of the target columns is only done  a
>     little   too   early.

Yeah, what I wanted to do was move both renaming and type-coercion
of target columns down to the end of transformInsertStmt (ditto for
UPDATE I suppose).  However there is a lot of crufty code in that
area, including some array stuff that I am pretty sure has bugs of
its own; and the DEFAULT issue needs to be fixed right in that same
routine, as well.  So I'd rather punt for now and tackle all these
issues in an unhurried manner after 6.5 release, rather than take a
risk of breaking things worse for the release.  Most of these bugs
have been around for quite a while, so I think we can live with 'em
for one more release cycle.