Re: upper() problem in 7.0.2 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: upper() problem in 7.0.2
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Christopher L. Cousins" <chris@impulse.net> writes:
> Using PHP4 or PHP3, the following query will ~sometimes~ cause the
> backend to terminate.  It depends the value of $searchstr and appears
> (to me anyway) to be random.  A $searchstr that causes the backend to
> crash right now may work just fine in a few hours.

> The same query issued through psql will not cause the backend to crash.

> For both interfaces (psql and PHP4) the query logged (debug) is the same.

That's really odd.  Since you don't have a reproducible example, we'll
have to ask you to do some more digging.  Would you build the backend
with -g, and then next time you see the problem get a stack backtrace
from the core file left by the crashed backend?

Notes: (a) the core file should appear in the database subdirectory,
ie ..../data/base/YOURDBNAME/core.  (b) if you see no core file there
from the prior crashes, you probably have launched the postmaster with
a ulimit setting that prevents core dumps.  You'll need to be careful
to relaunch it with a setting that does allow dumps.

            regards, tom lane