Re: [HACKERS] Where are we on stored procedures? - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Where are we on stored procedures?
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
"Francisco Figueiredo Jr." <fxjrlists@yahoo.com.br> writes:
> Could I add another item?

> Could we have the row count of statements executed inside a
> procedure/function returned to client?

IMHO that request is completely bogus; if the procedure wants to tell
the client that, it's the procedure's responsibility to return the
number as a result.  Doing what you ask (a) would arguably be a security
violation, and (b) the info would be impossible for the client to
interpret in any but the most trivial cases anyway.  Consider for
instance a procedure that contains different queries in the THEN and
the ELSE arms of an IF, or contains loops executed a variable number
of times.  Without access to the results of the control flow tests, the
client could not know which number means what.

            regards, tom lane