Re: distinct estimate of a hard-coded VALUES list - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: distinct estimate of a hard-coded VALUES list
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 08/22/2016 07:42 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:

>>> I am not exactly sold on this assumption that applications have
>>> de-duplicated the contents of a VALUES or IN list.  They haven't been
>>> asked to do that in the past, so why do you think they are doing it?
>>
>> It's hard to know, but my intuition is that most people would
>> deduplicate.  I mean, nobody is going to want to their query generator
>> to send X IN (1, 1, <repeat a zillion more times>) to the server if it
>> could have just sent X IN (1).
>
> Also, if we patch it this way and somebody has a slow query because of a
> lot of duplicate values, it's easy to solve the problem by
> de-duplicating.  But with the current code, people that have the
> opposite problem has no way to work around it.

I certainly agree it's better when a smart user can fix his query plan
by deduplicating the values than when we end up generating a poor plan
due to assuming some users are somewhat dumb.

I wonder how expensive would it be to actually count the number of
distinct values - there certainly are complex data types where the
comparisons are fairly expensive, but I would not expect those to be
used in explicit VALUES lists. Also, maybe there's some sufficiently
accurate estimation approach - e.g. for small number of values we can
compute the number of distinct values directly (and it's still going to
be fairly cheap), while for larger number we could probably sample the
values similarly to what ANALYZE does.

regards