Re: RFC: Temporal Extensions for PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ian Caulfield
Subject Re: RFC: Temporal Extensions for PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 17/02/07, Warren Turkal <wt@penguintechs.org> wrote:
> PERIOD(INT) is actually listed in the Dr. Snodgrass's book. However, I am not
> really sure about the semantics of the type. When would you use a
> PERIOD(INT)?

It wouldn't be directly useful for temporal SQL, but I have a number
of tables in a database application where a range of integers is
mapped onto a 0-100 range (e.g. 1-5 might get mapped onto 1, 6-15 to
2, etc), which I'd like to store using a (preferably non-overlapping)
period type.

> Also, please bring this discussion back on list so that it gets recorded. I
> didn't want to post your private reply to the list without your permission.

Oops, meant to reply to the list originally.

Ian