Server/Client Encoding Errors - Mailing list pgsql-general

From APseudoUtopia
Subject Server/Client Encoding Errors
Date
List pgsql-general
Hey,

I'm having some problems when inserting special characters into a
column. Here's the table:

----------------------------------
                                     Table "public.users_history_ip"
   Column   |            Type             |                           Modifiers
------------+-----------------------------+---------------------------------------------------------------
 id         | bigint                      | not null default
nextval('users_history_ip_id_seq'::regclass)
 userid     | integer                     | not null
 ip         | inet                        | not null
 hostname   | character varying(512)      | not null
 geoip_info | character varying(512)      | not null
 start_time | timestamp without time zone | not null
 last_seen  | timestamp without time zone | not null
 type       | ip_history_type             | not null
    "users_history_ip_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (id)
Foreign-key constraints:
    "users_history_ip_userid_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (userid) REFERENCES
users_main(id) ON DELETE CASCADE
----------------------------------

I'm trying to insert information into the geoip_info column. Here's
some of the information that I'm trying to insert, and the errors:

'Portugal, 09, Vila Real De Santo António'
ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xf36e696f

'Norway, 08, Ålesund'
ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xc56c

'Portugal, 04, Vila Nova De Famalicão'
ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xe36f2c

The locale on the server is "C" and the encoding is "UTF8". I thought
the UTF8 encoding would allow characters like this? Why is it
disallowing it?
Note, the GeoIP info is generated automatically by a module, so I am
unable to determine exactly what characters will be returned.

Thanks for the help.