Re: REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW and completion tag output - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Dilger
Subject Re: REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW and completion tag output
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> On Nov 5, 2020, at 8:20 AM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
>
> The patch that makes pg_stat_statements track the number of rows that
> REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW command processes was proposed at [1].
> When reviewing the patch, I just wondered why the completion tag output
> for REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW doesn't include the row count. Is this
> an intentional behavior? I've not found the past discussion about this yet.

Of 191 command tags, only 7 return the number of rows.  See src/include/tcop/cmdtaglist.h.  REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW
issimilar to CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW and also CREATE TABLE AS, which also do not return the row count.  I think this
behavioris historical, and preserved for compatibility.

—
Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company