Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 9:30 AM, Ian Barwick <ian@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> From what I've seen in the wild in Japan, Roman/ASCII characters are
>> widely used for object/attribute names, as generally it's much less
>> hassle than switching between input methods, dealing with different
>> encodings etc. The only place where I've seen Japanese characters widely
>> used is in tutorials, examples etc. However that's only my personal
>> observation for one particular non-Roman language.

> And I agree to this remark, that's a PITA to manage database object
> names with Japanese characters directly. I have ever seen some
> applications using such ways to define objects though in the past, not
> *that* many I concur..

What exactly is the rationale for thinking that Levenshtein distance is
useless in non-Roman alphabets?  AFAIK it just counts insertions and
deletions of characters, which seems like a concept rather independent
of what those characters are.