Re: changing sort_mem on the fly? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: changing sort_mem on the fly?
Date
List pgsql-general
"Jim C. Nasby" <decibel@decibel.org> writes:
> Since the planner knows how many rows will
> be going into the sort and how wide they are, ISTM it should be able to
> estimate how much memory will be needed.

... which is different from how much will be available.  See cost_sort():

 * If the total volume of data to sort is less than work_mem, we will do
 * an in-memory sort, which requires no I/O and about t*log2(t) tuple
 * comparisons for t tuples.
 *
 * If the total volume exceeds work_mem, we switch to a tape-style merge
 * algorithm.  There will still be about t*log2(t) tuple comparisons in
 * total, but we will also need to write and read each tuple once per
 * merge pass.    We expect about ceil(log6(r)) merge passes where r is the
 * number of initial runs formed (log6 because tuplesort.c uses six-tape
 * merging).  Since the average initial run should be about twice work_mem,
 * we have
 *        disk traffic = 2 * relsize * ceil(log6(p / (2*work_mem)))
 *        cpu = comparison_cost * t * log2(t)

The actual cost of a sort is therefore *highly* sensitive to how much
memory it is allowed to use.  Blowing off any ability to estimate this
in advance is not going to improve matters...

            regards, tom lane