Re: PDF files: to store in database or not - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PDF files: to store in database or not
Date
List pgsql-general
John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> writes:
> On 12/6/2016 12:10 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>> I did not realize that a BLOB is not the same as a bytea (page 217
>> of the
>> 9.6 PDF manual), and I cannot find BLOB as a postgres data type. Please
>> point me in the right direction to learn how to store PDFs as BLOBs.

> indeed BYTEA is postgres's type for storing arbitrary binary objects
> that are called BLOB in certain other databases.

Well, there are also "large objects", which aren't really a data type at
all.  If you're storing stuff large enough that you need to write/read
it in chunks rather than all at once, the large-object APIs are what
you want.

            regards, tom lane