Re: autocommit in 7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: autocommit in 7.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Is there a reason autocommit is implemented in psql and not in libpq via
> a C function call?

One reason is that PQexec accepts multiple-query strings (possibly with
embedded BEGIN/END), so it's not immediately obvious what the semantics
ought to be.  We could probably work out some reasonable definition if
we wanted to put effort into it, but seeing that libpq clients aren't
historically expecting any autocommit support, I didn't find it a high
priority task for 7.4.

At this point it's definitely too late for 7.4, anyway.  Put it on the
TODO list if you feel strongly about it.