Re: pg_dump of only the structure from a client such as ruby - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump of only the structure from a client such as ruby
Date
Re: pg_dump of only the structure from a client such as ruby  (Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com>)
List pgsql-general
Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com> writes:
> I find it odd that you are resistant to the idea.  To me, the
> advantages are clear if it can be done without a tremendous amount of
> work.

Well, it can't.  pg_dump is an enormously complicated and frequently
changed bit of code, and so you really really don't want to be copying
it into other clients.

For a long time there's been occasional talk of refactoring pg_dump into
a library and wrapper program such that the library could be used by
other clients.  But that would be a large amount of work in itself,
especially if you hoped to design a library API that was rich enough
that it'd be meaningfully more flexible than pg_dump itself is.  Aside
from the sheer work involved, there's the danger of introducing bugs
into what is certainly a critical part of our infrastructure.  So it's
never gotten further than "wouldn't it be nice" discussions.

            regards, tom lane

PS: *please* see if you can get them to take out the usage of pg_dump's
-i switch.  Having code invoke that blindly borders on criminal
negligence.