Re: From latin9 to sql_ascii?? - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: From latin9 to sql_ascii??
Date
List pgsql-patches
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 11:09:17PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> 'OE' and 'oe', most likely, but someone more familiar with French
>> typography might correct me.

> OE and oe would be correct, but we can't do that with the current code.

More to the point, there are no such characters in 7-bit ASCII.

I think Alvaro might be suggesting that to_ascii() should expand these
to the two-character sequences "OE" and "oe", but ISTM that opens a can
of worms better left sealed.  There are a *lot* of characters that have
translations of differing levels of plausibility into ASCII.  I'm okay
with dropping accent marks but I'm not sure about doing more than that.

            regards, tom lane