Re: Stats collector eats my CPU - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Stats collector eats my CPU
Date
List pgsql-general
wstrzalka <wstrzalka@gmail.com> writes:
> the 15483 process is stats collector. At the moment server is almost
> idle but the stats collector is constantly taking 15-17% of CPU.

> I don't know if it matters at all, but maybe the reason is that the
> cluster is very large in the term of relation number (many schemes
> with identical table set).

> select count(*) from pg_class;
>  count
> --------
>  257477

Ouch.  You might want to consider a schema redesign.  Usually, if you've
got a lot of tables with the same column-set, it's better to combine
them into one big table with an additional key column.

I'm sure the stats collector runtime is directly tied to having so many
tables --- it's trying to keep stats on each one of them individually.

            regards, tom lane