Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
List pgsql-general
> On 06/05/2018 05:07 PM, Jan Claeys wrote:
>> Being international/intercultural certainly has some value, but I think
>> it's at least as useful to have people with different competencies and
>> professional backgrounds.
>> For example: having some people who have a background in something like
>> psychology, sociology, education, law, human resources, marketing, etc.
>> (in addition to the likely much easier to find developers, DBAs and IT
>> managers) would be valuable too.

> Oh, please no that would be a trip down the rabbit hole.

Yeah.  For my own 2 cents, it's important that the committee members
be well known and trusted by the community-at-large; otherwise people
will be afraid to submit reports, making all this work pointless.
Combining that with the requirement for diversity is already going to
make it a difficult exercise to assemble a perfect team.  And then
there's the matter of whether people want to serve at all --- this is
likely to be a pretty thankless and unpleasant task, and one requiring
the sort of soft skills that tend not to be in abundance in a collection
of computer geeks ;-).  So I suspect that the pool of potential members
is not really very large.  Plus, since we put a time limit on how long
people can serve, we're going to need a fresh set of faces every couple
years.  So we shouldn't fool ourselves about how much we're going to be
able to ask in terms of additional qualifications.

            regards, tom lane